Monday, January 25, 2010

The Particle Accelerator

From Democritus to the Standard Model our view of the atom has evolved. We will be looking at current technology that aims to further our understanding of the "stuff" that makes up all matter.





Particle Accelerator


Open the webquest below and save it on your z-drive. Answer the questions directly onto your document.

Post:
Reflect on what you have researched and post a comment on any aspect of what you have learned about the particle accelerator.

9 comments:

  1. After doing this research I’ve have come to the conclusion that this machine may be the biggest waste of time and energy yet. Personally I don’t see the need to go to these extremes just to discover what were made of and what the big bang was, especially when there not 100% positive that it will even work. If for some reason this fails there going to have exponential amounts of equipment just sitting around under the earth. If it does work though I guess it will me kind of cool to know some of this stuff. But overall, I disagree with what they’re doing and that’s just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that dark matter takes up an estimated 20 percent of stuff in the universe. LHC will make it possible to find because of the fact that it will dissapear. Scientists will notice the disapearence and document it. dark matter branches into miniture black holes. Miniture black holes have a very short lifetime, if they are real, so they are not much of a threat. The actual machine makes it so scientists can figure out particles, new and old. They basically take particles from hydogen atoms and collide them. This creates new particles for scientists to study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the LHC is a very important machine because it could possibly uncover new particles and help better our understanding of the universe. If it did uncover new particles it could possibly help scientists develop new medicines and technology which could better our world and the understanding of other planets. With new particles that no one even imagined the possibilities are endless. It’s crazy to think that they have an even bigger magnet called the ATLAS which is seven stories high.
    Although there are complications to the machine it should still be tried out and worked on because of the possibility of uncovering new particles. If it does fail that just means we know one more way of how not to find these new particles and the science community could keep trying. The benefit of the machine if it is successful is too great to let a few accidents deter the construction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned that the LHC is very important because it is going to help us discover unknow particles. Those unknown particles that are being discovered by the LHC could be very important to us. By finding new particles it will help us to know our universe better and it can detect dark matter. The dark matter is important because it takes up a lot of the universe, so it is good to know about the "stuff" that takes up the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't understand why people are making such an upheaval over the Large Hadron Collider being put into use. Unknown particles that CERN have been studying for years will be found with these underground studies, and despite what people say, this is not our "2012 Disaster." CERN created the internet. Anybody with that level of technological skill is worthy of handling unknown/potentially dangerous particles. I leave you with one link:
    http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned that the LHC could potentially be a crucial part of our understanding of how our world was created and how everything came to be. I know that there is a possibility that I may not be around when a complete reenactment of the Big Bang happens, but if I am, I would be very grateful to have new knowledge of how the world I live in came about.
    Even though there have been past complications with the machine, I don’t think there should be hesitation about giving it another try. It’s like the saying goes, if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, and try again. I understand the reason for the hesitation, but life is about experimentations and I don’t think that you can simply not take up the opportunity to do something that could potentially be beneficial to the world just because something bad happened the first time you tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The LHC presents much controversy and confusion among scientists as well as ordinary people. There is so much confusion about what it actually does and what the scientist are looking for that people have started rumors about what would happen when they ran the machine. The rumors tended to give people the idea that the machine would create mass destruction because it would recreate the big bang. We now know that the LHC won’t explode the world because it collided protons for the first time in November, 2009. The research done at CERN is intriguing and there is so much more that can be discovered there. I was glad to read that the particle accelerator would not be blowing up the earth anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Geneva, Switzerland scientists have created the LHC, Large Hadron Collider. The LHC is the largest and most powerful particle accelerator ever created. It is measured to be two thousand tons and five stories high. The accelerator works by speeding up protons, close to the speed of light, in opposite directions. With this activity, they hope that the protons will crash into each other with enough power to recreate the particles that were formed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang. Many people are against this experiment for various reasons.

    The people who are apprehensive about this research are questioning if this is economically, environmentally, and physically safe. They feel that the LHC is pushing the boundaries of science. Skeptics fear that this test may potentially create black holes, tiny super dense objects, or dark matter, mysterious invisible matter. If the project fails however, many people will be upset at the amount of money and time wasted on the machine. I agree with these people and think that this project is a waste of time, money, and knowledge. These attempts are useless and some limits should not be pushed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. learned that the Particle Accelerator, the LHC has been created under the name CERN and is located in Geneva, Switzerland. The Particle Accelerator is an immense piece of equipment that, if used appropriately, supposedly can provide further information on the make-up of protons. The tangible machine is around 2,000 tons, and is a third of the weight of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I learned that the machine works by quickly moving hydrogen particles both ways. When the particles collide in the center of the apparatus, the protons break down. Many scientists are in favor of the Particle Accelerator, yet some remain skeptical

    ReplyDelete